26, Malaja Posadskaja ul., St. Petersburg 197046, Russia (work)
Tel. (+7) (812) 232 3157 office
Position & Affiliation:
Professor of Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, The Faculty of Philosophy of Man, Department of Theory and History of Culture
Senior researcher & head, St. Petersburg Branch of the Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences
Director of research programs, St. Petersburg Centre for History of Ideas
M.A. Leningrad State University, Faculty of Philosophy, 1981 with distinction.
PhD, 1986 (USSR Candidate of Philosophy), the dissertation on "Anti-religious freethinking of Russian socio-political utopias in the second half of the 18th century".
Doctor Habilitatus, 1996 (Russian Doctor of Philosophy) the dissertation on «Metaphysics in 18-century Russia».
Full professor: 2005 (Russian Full Professor)
2004 – pres. Leading researcher&head, St.Petersburg Branch of the Institute of Philosophy, Russian Academy of Sciences
2001-pres. Professor of Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia, The Department of History of Philosophy, the Department of Theory and History of Culture.
1998- pres. Director of research programs, St. Petersburg Centre for History of Ideas
2004-June, 1 2007. Director of the Institute of International Connections, Herzen State Pedagogical University of Russia
1994 - 2004. Leading researcher & Academic Secretary, St.Petersburg Branch of the Institute of Human Studies, Russian Academy of Sciences
1994 - 1996. Senior lecturer, Dept. of Social Philosophy, St.Petersburg University
1992 - 1994 Senior lecturer, Dept. of Culture, Ethics and Aesthetics, St.Petersburg University
1991 - 1994 Senior lecturer, Dept. of the History Russian Philosophy, St.Petersburg University
1990 - 1994 Senior lecturer, St.Petersburg Medical Experts' Improvement Institute
1986 - 1990 Assistant, Dept. of Philosophy, Leningrad Institute of Textile and Light Industry (LITLI)
1977 - 1986 Assistant positions in LITLI
1972 - 1977 Temporary jobs
Professional Societies & Academic Duties:
• Co-founder&co-editor of the almanac “Philosophical Age”
• Member of the Editorial Board of the Chelovek (The Human being) journal
• Member of the Editorial Board of the Landshaft (www.pitt.edu/~lands), a scholarly on-line publication dedicated to philosophy, literature, and culture, with an emphasis on the intellectual landscape of contemporary post-Soviet thought.
• The St.Petersburg Society for History of Ideas – President
• Editor of the mailing list “Bulletin of the Society for the History of Ideas in St. Petersburg Information for scholars: grants, fellowships, conferences, reviews”
• The Russian Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
• The International Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies
• The Russian Philosophical Society
• Association for Women in Slavic Studies
• Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities and Social Sciences Fellow’s Association (NFA)
• The Joint Council on Humanities and the Historical and Cultural Heritage St. Petersburg Scientific Center Russian Academy of Sciences
• St.Petersburg Union of Scientists&Scholars
• The Global Development Network
• The St.Petersburg Metaphysical Society
• The St.Petersburg Association of Russian philosophy historians
• The Transnational Vladimir Solovyov Society
Fields of Interests:
• History of Philosophy and Culture in 18 century Russia
• History of philosophy
• Intellectual communication
• Comparative studies
• History of masonry
• Philosophy of religion
• History of Ideas & Intellectual history
• Philosophy of History
• University education
• The Aleksanteri Institute at the University of Helsinki, Finland (January-March 2009)
• Fellowship, The Library of American Philosophical Society, March, 2006.
• Fellowship, The Herzog August Bibliothek (Germany). 06.07.-30.09.2005
• Visiting Fulbright Scholar. The Harriman Institute, the Columbia University. March-May, 2003
• The Ruth Ratcliff Foundation. The National Library of Scotland. Edinburgh, July-August, 2002
• Caledonian Research Foundation the Royal Society of Edinburgh. March-May 2001. University of Edinburgh
• Participant of the Programme “Prospekt 2002” 2000-2002, Catholic University of Nijmegen (the Netherlands), The Institute of Eastern Christian Studies. Research project «Russian Rational Theology and English Mystics in the Epoch of Enlightenment» (September-October, 2000)
• Visiting Scholar Regional Scholar Exchange Program, the United States Information Agency (USIA), the Kennan Institute for Advanced Russian Studies of the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, USA, Washington DC (September1999 - March 2000)
• Fellows’ Fellowship, The Institute for Advanced Studies in the Humanities, The University of Edinburgh, Scotland (January-February 1999)
• Advanced Study Fellow in the Trends in Scholarship programme, the Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study, Wassenaar, the Netherlands (March-April 1999).
• 2007-2009 Russian Foundation for the Humanity Research project “History of ideas as intellectual communication” (Together with M. Mikeshin)
• 2007 Russian Foundation for the Humanity for the international conference «K. Linnaeus and Russia»
• 2006 Russian Foundation for the Humanity & ECA of the US Department of State (via IREX) for the international conference «B.Franklin and Russia»
• 2004-2006 Russian Foundation for the Humanity. Research project “A.M. Beloselskii-Belozerskii and his philosophical heritage”.
• 2004 Mezhregional’nye issledovanija v obshestvennykh naukakh (Ministry of Education RAS, Carnegie Foundation, The John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation). “Reception of British philosophical thought in Russia in XVIII-XIX” (Together with M. Mikeshin and V.Bazhanov)
• 2003 Russian Foundation for the Humanity –travel grant (The Eleventh ISECS Congress on the Enlightenment, 3–10 August 2003 at the University of California)
• 2002 ECA Alumni Small Grants Program (International Conference "Russia and Britain in the Enlightenment," in St. Petersburg in June 2002)
• 2001 Local Initiative Grant Program "History of ideas as a methodology of the humanities" Holding an International Conference; Publishing the proceeding of the Conference; Publishing curricula for courses of lectures on history of ideas
• 1999-2001 Research Support Scheme of the Central European University (“Russian Utopianism in the Epoch of Enlightenment”)
• 1999-2000. Russian Basic Research Foundation (“Philosophy as Science. Philosophy in the Russian Academy of Sciences and Moscow University in the Enlightenment” - together with M. Mikeshin)
• CRC CEU Philosophy Session «Mind, Body and Method.» (22 -28 April 1998)
• 1994-1996 Research Support Scheme of the Central European University («A Philosophical Doctrine of God in the Mirror of Metaphorical Reflection».
• 1994-1995 Russian Foundation for the Humanity «The History of Metaphysics in 18th-century Russia» (research project)
• 1996 Russian Foundation for the Humanity «The History of Metaphysics in 18th-century Russia» (editorial project)
• 1996-1997 Russian Foundation for the Humanity («Philosophy of History in 18-century Russia».
• 1997-1998 Russian Foundation for the Humanity («Cosmology in 18th-century Russia» — together with M. Mikeshin)
• 1997 Open Society Institute «“Manon russe”: la transmutation personnelle» (International Conference «L’Abbe Prevost et son Monde», University of Nottingham, Grate Britain. Travel grant) and others
Publications (in Russian, unless otherwise indicated)
• A.M. Beloselsky-Belozersky and His Philosophical Heritage. St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg Center for the History of Ideas, 2008. — 200 p. (joint authorship).
• Essential Principles of Academic Fundraising: Raising Money for Realization Educational, Research, Cultural and Social Projects. Textbook for university students and post-graduates. (joint authorship) St.Petersburg, 2007. 219 p.
• Quality Assurance in Higher Education: International Experience. St. Petersburg , 2007. 163 p. Textbook for university students and post-graduates. (joint authorship).
• The Reception of the British Social and Philosophical Thought in Russia in 18-19 Centuries. Textbook for university students and post-graduates. St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg Center for the History of Ideas, 2006. 138 p. (joint authorship)
• Andrei Bolotov "About the Souls of Dead People". St.Petersburg: Aleteia, 2006. (Compilation, Introduction and Notes). 202 p.
• From the Glorious Past to the Bright Future. Philosophy of History and Utopia in Russia in the Epoch of Enlightenment. St.Petersburg, 2005. 496 p.
• Philosophy at the Petersburg Academy of Sciences in the 18 Century. St.Petersburg, 1999. 182 p.
• The Idea of History in 18-century Russia. St.Petersburg, 1998. 267 p.
• The History of Metaphysics in 18th-century Russia. St.Petersburg: Aleteia, 1996. 319 p.
• Meditations on Soul. Russian Eighteenth-Century Metaphysics about Immortality of the Soul. St.Petersburg: Nauka, 1996. 314 p. (Compilation, Introduction and Notes)
• Russian Eighteenth-Century Philosophy of History. St.Petersburg: The St.Petersburg University Press, 1996. 112 p.
• Mikhail Shcherbatov. St.Petersburg: The St.Petersburg University Press, 1994. 91 p.
• Mundus Symbolicum of Russian Enlightenment// Intermediality In Russian Culture of 18-20 century. SPb. P.6-36.
• 'Philosophia Naturalis' in St.Petersburg Academy of Sciences, in: The European Journal. Rome, Italy. June, 2008. P. 3-5.
• The Problems of intellectual communication// Wiener Slavwistischer Almanach/ Band 59, 2007. München, 2007.
• Encyclopaedism between Technology and Epistemology// The Unique is Global. Person&Manegment. Culture&Education. SPb. 2007. P.116-131
• C. Linnaeus and his intellectual links with Russia// The Philosophical Age. Almanac 33. Carolus Linnaeus in Russia. Ed. by T. Artemieva, M. Mikeshin. St. Petersburg: St. Petersburg Center for History of Ideas, 2007. P.55-69.
• Maxims of Benjamin Franklin// “Chelovek” (Human being). # 1 2007. (joint authorship)
• Phylosophy as a fate: A.T. Bolotov: Technology of Popularity in the mirror of National Genii Die Welt der Slaven Internationale Halbjahresschrift für Slavistik Jahrgang LI,1, Verlag Otto Sagner München. 2005.
• "David Hume in Russia," in: The Reception of David Hume in Europe. London: Continuum, 2005. / The Reception of British and Irish Authors in Europe Series (joint authorship). (in English)
• The Problem of Death and a System of "Death Education" in Russia //Death and Bereavement Around the World, Volume 3: Death and Bereavement in Europe, 2004
• Sciences about man in first editions of Encyclopaedia Britannica// “Chelovek” (Human being). # 6 2003. P.70-85.
• Traditions of Dutch Philosophy and Russia// Geschiedenis Van De Wijsbegeerte in Nederland. Documentatieblad van de Werkgroep Sassen Jaargang 12, 2001, Rotterdam, 2003. P. 7-14. (in English)
• History of Philosophy as Philosophy// "The Philosophical Age", almanac # 24. St. Petersburg, 2002. P. 11-22.
• Adam Smith In Russian Translations, Adam Smith: A Critical bibliography, London, Pickering & Chatto, 2002. P.153-167. (in English)
• Adam Smith in Russia. "The Philosophical Age", almanac # 19. St. Petersburg, 2002. P.39-67.
• The Roots of Conservative Utopias in Russian Enlightenment// Conservatism in Transition: European Tradition and Russian Experience. International Symposium . Russia, Samara, April 26-29, 2002
• British Mystics in 18th-Century Russia in "The Philosophical Age", almanac # 17. St. Petersburg, 2001. P.313-341.
• Philosophy of Scottish Enlightenment, The Scottish Enlightenment in its European Context. Glasgow, 2001. P.10-11
• Eighteenth-Century Russian Philosophy on the Immortality of the Soul/ A journal of the Liberal Arts. Volume 51. Religion in the Eighteenth Century. Published be Washington&Jefferson College. 2001.P.62-67. (in English)
• Secret ways of Philosophical Spirit/ Soloviev’s Volume. Moscow, 2001. P. 537-577
• Die “Rhetorishe Schule” in der russischen Historiographie// Russische Aufklärungsrezeption im Kontext offizieller Bildungskonzepte (1700-1825). Berlin Verlag Arno Spitz GmbH, 2001. P.537-577 (in German)
• "Adam Ferguson's Philosophy in Russia" in "The Philosophical Age", almanac # 15. St. Petersburg, 2001, p. 9-19. (in English)
• “Manon russe”: la transmutation personnelle // L’Abbé Prévost au tournant du siecle. Oxford, 2000. P.361-368 (in French).
• Baptizing of Russia in the Historical and Literary Meditation of Russian Thinkers of 18th Century. in the Christian Culture at the Threshold of the Third Millennium. St. Petersburg, 2000.P.49-53. --conference paper
• Russian Atlantis in the Age of Enlightenment. In.: Universe of Plato's Thought: Platonism and Antique Psychology. St. Petersburg, 2000.P.141-148.
• New Atlantis of Michael Shcherbatov. Publication “A Voyage into Countries of True Sciences”, notes. In "Problems of Philosophy". 2000. # 10. P. 104-111. Publication of manuscript, introduction, notes.
• A Tutor of Literature. In Proceedings of the International Conference "Russian Philosophy of Childhood". St. Petersburg, 2001. P.254-262.
• Idea of utopia in the contest of philosophy of history. In The Philosophical Age. Almanac..# 14. P. 181-193. -- Syllabus of Special Courses of Lectures
• Philosophy as Fate: In The Philosophical Age. Almanac..# 14. P. 106-111. -- Syllabus of Special Courses of Lectures
• Utopian Archetypes in Russian Culture. In The Philosophical Age. Almanac..# 13 "Russian Utopia of the Enlightenment and World Traditions of Utopianism.". St. Petersburg, 2000. P. 15-21.
• Mikhail Kheraskov's Sophiocratic Ideals and Epistemological Utopias. In The Philosophical Age. Almanac..# 12 "Russian utopianism: From an Ideal State to the Perfect Society.". St.Petersburg, 2000. P. 13-47.
• Voltaire and problem of Theodicy in 18-century Russian Philosophy/ Voltaire and Russia. Moscow, 1999. P. 43-51.
• The Poverty of Historicism and the Luxury of Utopianism (in English) in The Philosophical Age. Almanac.№10. “Philosophy as Fate. Russian Philosopher as Socio-cultural Type.”. St.Petersburg, 1999. P.14-21
• A manual as a model of the world an society, in Cultural studies: Issues of Interdisciplinarity. St.Petersburg, 1998. P.293-296.
• Short Ariadne’s thread in: In: Labyrinth of Culture. St.Petersburg, 1998. P.324-327.
• «Moscow philosophy» and «St.Petersburg philosophy», in Metaphilosophy. St.Petersburg, 1998.P.317-329.
• Les mondes utopiques de la Grande Catherine. In: Catherine II & L’Europe. Paris,1997 (in French)
• Subject of Historical Personology, in The Philosophical Age. Almanac.The Enlightened Person in the Russian History: Problems in Historiosophical Antropology. St.Petersburg, 1997. P.5-30 (Together with M. Mikeshin).
• Leonhard Euler as a Philosopher, in The Philosophical Age. Almanac. F. V. Leibniz and Russia. St.Petersburg, 1997. P. 57-73.
• The World’s System of Professor Brown, in: Philosophy in the Spiritual Life of Society St.Petersburg, 1997.P.15-18.
• G. N. Teplov — administrator (and?) or scholar, in Science, Philosophy, Culture in Russia and in the West. St.Petersburg, 1997. P.2-4.
• Introduction,edition in The Philosophical Age. Almanac.G. W. Leibniz and Russia. St.Petersburg, 1996P.P. 1-9 (Together with M. Mikeshin).
• Leibniz and Russian Pneumatology, in: The Philosophical Age. Almanac. F. V. Leibniz and Russia. St.Petersburg, 1996. P. 9-26
• Catharine the Great and Prince Shcherbatov in the Space of Utopian Paradise in: Philosophy in Russia: Tradition and Modernity. St.Petersburg, 1997.P.139-142
• St.Petersburg as a “Paradise of Intellect”, in: Peoples of the CIS on the Eve of the Third Millennium: Realities and Perspectives. Vol. IV. St.Petersburg, 1996. (Together with M. Mikeshin.
• A Philosophical Doctrine of God in the Mirror of Metaphorical Reflection// Research Support Scheme Network Chronicle/ 1996/ P. 34
• Natural Theology in Russian Eighteenth-Century Metaphysics, in: Bulletin of the Pskov Free University. — 1995. — Vol. 2, # 4. (Together with M. Mikeshin).
• God in the Mirror of Metapho¬ri¬cal Reflection// Transactions of the 9 International Congress on the Enlightenment, 23-29 July, 1995. Münster, 1995 (in English)
• Rousseauisme russe du XVIII siècle: les adeptes et les critiques, in: II Colloque international de Montmorency “J.-J. Rousseau, politique et nation”. — Montmorency, 1995. (in French).
• Eternal Themes of Metaphysics, in: Paradigms of Philosophizing. Proceedings of the Second International Conference on Philosophy and Culture. St.Petersburg, Russia, August 10-15, 1995.
• Categories of Russian Metaphysics. In: Veche. Almanach of Russian Philosophy and Culture. Issue 2. St.Petersburg, 1995.
• “Nobleman Philosopher” Meditating on God. In: Russian Philosophy and Modern World. St.Petersburg, 1995.
• A Russian Utopia as a Subject of the History of Science. In: European Association for the Study of Science and Technology. Proceedings of the Conference on Science, Technology and Change: New Theories, Realities, Institutions. Budapest, Hungary, August 28-31, 1994.
• “Cathedral philosophy” in Russia: Sources and Traditions. In: Sfinks, 1994, N 2.
• Philosophy of History in Works of Historians of the 18th Century. In: Social Philosophy and Philosophy of History: Open Society and Culture. St. Peterburg, 1994.
• "Slavic God" of A. Mitskievich and G. Derzhavin. In: The Polish Spirituality in the Context of Cultural and Scientific St. Petersburg Life. St. Petersburg, 1994.
• The Lisbon Earthquake, or The History of a Metaphysical Plot in Russia. In: Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo Universiteta [The St. Petersburg University Bulletin]. Series 6, Issue 3, 1993.
• "Metaphysical Archetypes in Russian Culture". In: Book of Abstracts. The 19th World Congress of Philosophy. Moscow, 1993
• "Genealogy in the Context of M.M.Shcherbatov's Philosophy of History". In: Russian Philosophy: New Solvings for Old Problems. St.Petersburg, 1993.
• "World-View Texts in Russian Culture", "Social Symbolism of Dress", "Philosophical Foundations of Thanatology". In: Programs for Higher School. Samara, 1993.
• "The Capital and the Province. A Look trough the Prism of Utopia". In: Myths of the Provincial Culture. Samara, 1992.
• "Minerva Triumphant in the World of Absurdity". In: Language and Text: Ontology and Reflection. St.Petersburg, 1992
• "Russian Metaphysics as Aesthetics". In: Russian Philosophy: Tradition and Role in the Modern World. St.Petersburg, 1992.
• "The Society of Mass Atheism, or What Is Russian God?" In: Religion and Freethinking in the Cultural Historic Process. St.Petersburg, 1991.
• "Meditations on the Death Hour by Duke Shcherbatov". In: Thanatos' Figures. St.Petersburg, 1991.
• "Metaphysical Text. The Problem of an 18th Century Translator". In: Traditions of the Native Philosophy. Grodno, 1991.
• "Russian Philosophy in the Context of the European Philosophical Tradition". In: Problems in Socio-Humanistic Knowledge. Leningrad, 1989.
• "Philosophy and Enlightenment. The 18th Century in Russia". In: Filosofskie Nauki [Philosophical Sciences Journal], 1990, No. 2.
• "Christian Wolff and Russian Wolffianism". In: Filosofskie Nauki [Philosophical Sciences Journal], 1990, No.1
• "The Theory of Natural Rights as the Philosophical Basis of Russian Socio-Political Thought in the Second Half of the 18th Century". In: Philosophy and the Freedom Movement in Russia. Leningrad, 1989.
• "The Russian Philosophy about Itself. The 18th Century". In: Filosofskie Nauki [Philosophical Sciences Journal], 1989, No.8
• "Dress as a Mirror of the Russian History". In: Philosophy and Spiritual Life of Society. Leningrad, 1989.
• "The Traditions of Russian Philosophy and Modernity" In: The Youth and Creativity. Moscow, 1988.
• "Social Criticism Motifs in Russian Literature Utopias of the 18th Century". In: Social Revolution: Theoretical Problems. Leningrad, 1989.
• "The National Special Features and Forms of the Philosophical Knowledge". In: Problems in Socio-Cultural Determination of the Scientific Cognition. Leningrad, 1987.
• "The Special Functional Features of the Historical Types of the Social Utopianism". In: Abstracts of the 8th International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science. Moscow, 1987.(in English).
• "The Historical Types of Social Utopias as Forms of Non-scientific Cognition of Society". In: Social Consciousness and Social Cognition. Moscow, 1987.
(In total 224)
Conferences organized and presided:
• The International Postgraduate Conference “Man in Philosophy of the Enlightenment”. October 10-11 2008.
• The International Conference “Carolus Linnaeus in Russia to the Tercentenary of his Birth”. June 15-16 2006.
• The International Conference “BENJAMIN FRANKLIN AND RUSSIA to the Tercentenary of His Birth”. June 22-24 2006.
• The International Conference “International Organizations in Russia and Problem of Cultural Integrations”. St.Petersburg, June 16-17 2006.
• The International Conference "History of University education in Russia and international traditions of Enlightenment". St.Petersburg, June 23-25 2005.
• The International Conference "Encyclopedia as a Form of Universal Knowledge: From the Epoch of Enlightenment to the Epoch of Internet" 8-9 October, 2004
• The International Conference "History of Philosophy as Philosophy" 24-25 October, 2003
• Symposium "St. Petersburg on the Philosophical Map of the World". (St.Petersburg, Russia, 22 June 2001; 25 June 2002, 18 June 2003)
• “Russia and Britain in the Enlightenment”. 6-8 June, 2002.
• The International Conference "History of Ideas as a Methodology in the Humanities" 26-29 September 2001
• The International Conference "Traditions of Dutch Philosophy and Russia". 7-8 June, 2001. (Traditions of Dutch Philosophy and Russia)
• Scotland and Russia in the Enlightenment. September 1-3, 2000. Edinburgh, Scotland
• The International Conference Russian Utopia of the Enlightenment and World Traditions of Utopianism, 27-28 July 2000, (St.Petersburg, Russia)
• The International Conference “St.Petersburg Academy of Sciences in the International History of Academies” June, 28 -30 1999. (St.Petersburg, Russia)
• The International Conference “Philosophy as a Fate: Russian Philosopher as a Social Type”, August, 1999. .
• Evolutionary Epistemology and Karl Popper’s Conception of the Open Society. 6–8 July 1999 (St.Petersburg, Russia)
• International Conference ""Between Physics and Metaphysics": Science and Philosophy”. 5-7 October, 1998
• «The Science of Morality», dedicated to the 250th anniversary of Jeremy Bentham, May 1998
• «An Enlightened Person in the Russian History: Ivan Ivanovich Shuvalov». A conference was held from 23 to 29 June 1997 to celebrate 270 years since the birth and 200 years since the death of I. I. Shuvalov (1727-1797)
• International Conference «The Perspective in Metaphysics: Classical and Non-classical Metaphysics at the Break of the Century. October, 28-29 1997.(St.Petersburg, Russia)
• International Conference «Metaphysics of Confession. The Space and the Time of Confessional Word».May, 25-28, 1997.(St.Petersburg, Russia)
• International Conference «Catherine the Great: an Epoch of Russian History». 26-29 August 1996 (St.Petersburg, Russia)
• International Conference «Leibniz and Russia». 26-27 June 1996.(St.Petersburg, Russia)
• International Conference «Christian Wolf and Russian Wolffianism». 21-22 May 1996, (St.Petersburg, Russia)
• 1-2 International Conferences «The Team of Death in the Spiritual Experience of Humankind» — 1993-1995 (St.Petersburg, Russia) and others
Summer schools for young scholars organized and presided:
• 4th International Summer School "European Identity and Russian Mentality". 8-22 July 2001
• 3rd International Summer School "From an Ideal State to the Perfect Society". 9-30 July 2000
• 2nd International Summer School "The Russian Philosopher as a Sociocultural Type". 8-29 August 1999
• 1st International Summer School "The Idea of History in Russian Mentality". 29 June - 12 July 1998
Participation in Conferences and Congresses (with paper):
• International Conference on the History of Freemasonry May, 29-31, 2009. Edinburgh, Scotland.
• „Orthodoxy and Human Rights“. Soeterbeeck Expert Meeting, 9 – 11 February, 2009. Ravensteijn,the Netherlands.
• Colloque international Le sémiotique du scandale comme mécanisme de la culture, 20-23 septembre .2008. Sorbonne, Paris
• Mediale Synthese und russische Philosophie („Museum“ bei Nikolaj Fedorov vs. „Kultakt“ bei Pavel Florenskij) Workshop in russischer Sprache, Tübingen, 17.-18. Juli 2008.
• Philosophical Cultures, A Symposium At The Aleksanteri Institute, University Of Helsinki, Finland 9. –10. April 2008
• Revisiting Perestroika – Processes And Alternatives November 29 - December 1, 2007, The Aleksanteri Institute, University of Helsinki, Finland
• LINNAEUS IN HIS TIME Jubilee Symposium In History of Science. Uppsala University. Friday, 25 May, 2007
• Twelfth Enlightenment Congress in Montpellier, France (8-15 July, 2007)
• Baltic Sea subregional conference "Six years since World Education Forum in Dakar in 200 - an Overview, Future Perspectives and Challenges around the Baltic Sea". Riga, 11-13 December, 2006.
• ESF – Workshop “Freemasonry and National Identities in Europe: Levels of Construction”. Vrije Universiteit Brussel – 28-30 September 2006
• International Workshop „Mediendynamik und die Geschichte der russischen Kultur vom 18. bis zum 20.Jahrhundert“. November, 24 - 27 2005. Konstanz, 2005
• VII ICCEES World Congress in Berlin, July 25th–30th, 2005.
• Fifth European Social Science History Conference Berlin 24 - 27 March 2004 (ESSHC)
• April, 6 - 10, 2004. First International Christian Wolff-Kongress 'Christian Wolff and the European Enlightenment'
• International conference „Intime Texte, intime Raume. Zur Konstruktion von Intimitat in der russischen Kultur“.Konstanz 24. – 26 June 2004
• The Eleventh ISECS Congress on the Enlightenment, 3–10 August 2003 at the University of California, Chair and an organizer a Round Table (together with M.Mikeshin) “Utopianism in the Epoch of Enlightenment: Forms, Genres, Types”
• Hierarchy and Power in the History of Civilisations. Second International Conference. St.-Petersburg, July, 4-7, 2002
• “Other Easts, Other Wests: new constructions of otherness in East-West relations”. An international seminar on changing perceptions of the Other after the Cold War. The Norwegian University Centre, St. Petersburg, May 9-10, 2002
• Conservatism in Transition: European Tradition and Russian Experience. International Symposium . Russia, Samara, April 26-29, 2002
• The Bergen - St. Petersburg Conference in Philosophy: on the Human Condition in the Changing World. Conference. St.Petersburg May 13-14
• Workshop “Historische Kulturwissenschaft und Mikrogeschichte”. Konstanz, Germany, November,13 , 2001 (Die Geschichte des Staates als Familiengeschichte: Teoretische Grunglagen der persologischen Historiosophie im Russland des 18 Jh.s).
• The International Conference "The Scottish Enlightenment in its European Context". Glasgow,3-6 April 2001 (Philosophy of Scottish Enlightenment in Russia)
• The annual conference of the British Association of Slavonic and East European Studies (BASEES) LANGUAGE AND LINGUISTICS. 6-9 April 2001, Cambridge, UK. (Philosophical language in 18th-century Russia: between physics and metaphysic)
• "Modernities": Emergence of Political Modernity, Social Transformation and Ideologies of Modernism in Central and Southeast Europe in the XIX-XX Centuries”. Budapest, 25-29 May, 2000
• ISECS Tenth International Congress on the Enlightenment - Dublin, July 25-31 1999
• East-Central American Society for Eighteenth-Century Studies 30th Annual Meeting The Eternal Verities: Death, Taxes, and Other Sensitive Subjects (October 21-23, 1999), Washington&Jefferson College, Washington, PA, where I presented a paper "Russian 18th Century Philosophy on the Immortality of the Soul"
• Fourth Meeting of the International Society for the Classical Tradition. Tübingen (Germany), July 29 - August 2, 1998
• International Conference «L’Abbe Prevost et son Monde», University of Nottingham, Great Britain. September, 19-22 1997
• Colloque international «Catherine II et L’Europe».21-23 novembre 1996, Paris.
• Internationale Tagung des Forschungszentrums Europäishe Aufklärung «Russische Aufklärung-Reception im Kontext offizieller Bildugskonzepte (1700-1825)». 26. bis 29. September 1996, Potsdam, Deutschland.
• International Conference «Peoples of the CIS on the Eve of the Third Millennium: Realities and Perspectives». St.Petersburg, Russia, 1996.
• 9 International Congress on the Enlightenment, 23-29 July, 1995. (Münster, Germany)
• Jonathan Swift. 1667-1745: An Interdisciplinary Commemoration” Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland, 21-24 June, 1995.
• II Colloque international de Montmorency “J.-J. Rousseau, politique et nation”. Montmorency, France, 1995.
• Paradigms of Philosophizing: Second International Conference on Philosophy and Culture.August 10-15, 1995. St.Petersburg, Russia.
• East-West Seminar. (Paris, France), 1994
• The 19th World Congress of Philosophy. Moscow, 1993
• International Conference «Language and Text: Ontology and Reflection». St.Petersburg, Russia, 1992
• 8th International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science. Moscow, 1987. (And others)
Teaching Experience (all university levels):
• Intellectual communications and cross-cultural comparativistics
• The Idea of an Ideal State and the Perfect Society
• History of Ideas
• History of Philosophy
• History of Russian Philosophy
• Philosophy of History in 18-century Russia
• History of Religion
• International Cooperation in Education
Three of my postgraduates have already received their PhD
One postgraduates works under my supervision
• 05.03.2009. Making Philosophy in St.Petersburg. Institutions, networks, people. (the Aleksanteri Institute at the University of Helsinki, Finland)
• 20.02.2009 А.М.Белосельский-Белосельский: Формирование дворянского интеллектуала. (Department of Slavonic and Baltic languages and literatures, University of Helsinki, Finland)
• 18.02.2009 “Traditions of Russian Utopianism. The university of Turku, Finland
• 27.01.2009 “Traditions of Russian Utopianism: Forms, Genres, Types” (the Aleksanteri Institute at the University of Helsinki, Finland)
• 13.06.06 St. “Petersburg Academy of Sciences as an International Network”. The 10th International Summer School in History Of Science, Uppsala, 2006, "The Two Cultures In The Republic Of Letters: Intellectual History In The 17th And 18th Centuries"
• 14.04.2003 Adam Smith in Russia (Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies, the University of Iowa, US)
• 15.04.2003 Making History in St.Petersburg. (Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies, the University of Iowa, US)
• 25.01.2000 Russian Utopianism in the Epoch of Enlightenment (from an Ideal State to the Perfect Society) (Center for Russian, East European, and Eurasian Studies, the University of Iowa, US)
• 26.01.2000 "Philosophy of History in 18th century Russia" (Grinnell College, Grinnell IA, US)
• October, 2000 "Philosophia Naturalis in Russian Academy of Sciences (the University of Rotterdam, the Netherlands)
• October, 2000 "Russian Utopias in C18-C19" (the University of Groningen, the Netherlands)
• "'Russian Philosophy of History in the Epoch of Enlightenment" (the University of Nijmegen, the Netherlands)
• 26.04.2001 "Russian Utopianism in the Epoch of Enlightenment (from an Ideal State to the Perfect Society)" (The University of Edinburgh, Edinburgh, Scotland)
• 3.05.2001 "Russian Utopianism in the Epoch of Enlightenment" (Fitzwilliam College, The University of Cambridge, UK)